Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Serendipity - or - What I found while taking the "Getting rid of 1000 Things Challenge"

It is  amazing what wonderful  little things may happen on the way to doing something else, isn't it?  I'm unofficially participating in the "Get Rid of 1000 Things" challenge and it is a little more  difficult than I thought it would be.   I'm looking  through my things plus I talked my husband into going through some of his things and handing them over  (yahoo)!  One of the interesting aspects, maybe the most interesting part of going through old stuff, new stuff, stuff you forgot about, stuff you don't remember . . . is  the little  discoveries you make along the way.
Let me back up a little so there will be some reference for the little treasure I found. . . 

My husband and I decided to  renew our vows on our 40th anniversary several years ago.  Since we had eloped originally (a quiet event with only a small group of friends and family), we decided to celebrate our years together by hosting a reception at the lovely Dorothy Oven Park here in Tallahassee.  We invited 75 guests and our dear friend, Patty Williams, presided over our  vows. Bella Bella catered for us, Scott Holstein took some lovely photographs, and  music was provided by the group Tantalas, a wonderful guitar quartet.  (They were scheduled to leave on a European tour the week after our reception). 

For our processional, as Chuck and I walked from the Main house down to the Gazebo where we would renew our vows, we asked them to play the Bach Air for G String.  That piece of music was important to us - The Charlotte (N.C.)  Symphony had performed it in a series of concerts during a significant part of our early relationship.  Chuck played with the Symphony and when he left for Texas to attend the University of North Texas Music  School,  I was brought in. .  . And no, I'm not a good player - just in the right place when they needed someone for the percussion section. ( As a matter of fact, I'm sure that the conductor liked me, but I'm also convinced that he wished I was in another conductor's symphony)! 

The day of our anniversary celebration was a lovely day - hot for sure, it was July after all, but after our vows were given, everyone came back to the Main House to celebrate.  The food was good, the music was  wonderful, and we really enjoyed the day.  Did I mention that my husband  surprised me by presenting me with a Nancy Reid Gunn wax encaustic painting?  I had admired her  and her work for many years and she had recently passed away.  When he unveiled it,  I was speechless, really.   Completely and utterly floored!  Our friends Sam and Barbara Fleeger, Mark Fletcher and his wife Sara Chang, and my brother, Monty Willis, helped Chuck pull off this great surprise. 

Okay, so  now you are probably wondering how this little saga relates to my "Get Rid of  1000 Things" challenge.  While going through boxes, cedar chests,  and drawers, I found an envelope that contained the vows that my husband had written.

I had already spoken my vows, and he smiled as he pulled his written words out of his pocket saying to the guests gathered around the gazebo. . . "She may not need notes, but  I do!"   Then he began speaking .  .  . and these are the vows he spoke that summer afternoon and the love that I know today.

  "Terrie, 40 years ago in a church in Lancaster, South Carolina,  before God, family and friends, we pledged our love  and commitment to each other.  I  remember that day as  if it were yesterday.  I remember walking in the pastor's  office just before we  walked down the aisle to become husband and wife.  What a vision you were.  You took my breath away.  You still take my breath away.

I loved you 40 years ago.  I love you even more today.  The difference is  that today, all the myths have been washed away and I can see more clearly into the depths of your beautiful soul.  I promise  to love you without reservation, comfort you in times of distress, encourage you to achieve all your goals, laugh with you and cry  with you, grow with you in mind and spirit, always be open and honest with you, and cherish you always until I have drawn my last breath.
We pledged to honor, comfort and keep each other.  We pledged to support each other in sickness and in health, in times of want and times of plenty, for better or worse, for  the rest of our lives.  We  have  had all  those things, and you have been by my side as we created a home and a life together.  Today, at the beginning of our 41st year in the presence of God, and our family and friends, I renew my vows to you, pledging my eternal  love for you, and eagerly await  what life may bring."

Today, I am remembering that day, and being reminded of how lucky I am . . .










2 comments:

Lee said...

I love your beautiful heart....... Mom

Terrie Corbett said...

Thank you, Mom, I love you, too.