Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Ah Yes, Another Birthday and It is Time to Wear Purple

 My January birthday follows quickly on the heels of a new year, and so it seems like an appropriate time for personal reflection and insight.  As I look back on last year's posts, I realize that, with only a few exceptions, the most important things in my heart haven’t changed. I have borrowed previous entries, embellished others, and I have also added some new thoughts.   

I am glad to be where I am.  I'm not concerned, worried, or conflicted about my age, my looks, or my habits! Those things have a way of taking care of themselves with little assistance from me!  I’m happy and content with my life; however, I am still curious, and still looking for the next adventure!


I'm in love with my husband and I am glad that my Mom is our next door neighbor.  

I am proud that Mom is always trying new things and I am constantly amazed at her innate ability to do just about anything she puts her mind to, really!  I hope she knows how lucky we feel that she is our Mom.

I have been thrilled to see my niece, Katie, and her husband, Chris, become such good parents to their little sons, Jamie and Jaxson! What a beautiful family they are!   

I have always been proud of my brother, Monty, proud of his accomplishments, his sense of humor, and his loyalty to family and country.  I have been delighted to watch as he and my sister-in-law, Linda, have become the doting (and terrific) grandparents that they are!

The animals who share our home (all cats, for now) – Yam, Roundface, Bump, and Purrble, are so special to us and we try to provide the love and nurturing environment that they deserve.  Although we lost Shade in December, we loved his sweet spirit for 21 years. He lived a 'series of 9 lives' and had a happy life. 

I continue to take particular pleasure in observing my cats as they go about “the business of being a cat!”
They are natural clowns, with a special touch of grace and agility.  Their antics, infused with joy and curiosity, are so much fun to watch!  And watch them I do!
 
As a child, I use to love to lie down on the grass, look up at the sky, and watch the clouds float by – I still do.  However, now I do not lie down on the grass – it is harder to get up (!) and, since this is Florida and not North Carolina, the fire ants can have their preferred seating!  A chaise lounge or hammock will do fine for me.  

I am still fascinated by the smaller worlds of butterflies, spiders, ants, lady bugs, and yes little lizards and snakes whenever I see them in the woods or in the yard!  And who has not thought about how it must feel to soar over the tree tops like our feathered friends?

I am interested in all of God's creatures - great and small - those that fly - or walk - or crawl.  I had an ant farm when I was very young.  It was growing and progressing well.  I kept it in my bedroom and then one day it disappeared. My parents didn’t seem to know what happened to it and I never found it. 

My Mom is a good sport. However, it took her a little while to recover from an incident in the kitchen where I walked in with a little green snake wrapped several times around my neck. She forgave me for that, but was not as generous when I made a little nest in the record player cabinet and hid the baby mice there. I had rescued them from outside in a field of tall grass where our dog had discovered them.


My husband, my best friend, my sweetheart, my lover - we eloped, we were just kids, and we had to "grow up," didn't we?  We didn't know anything!  I know this now -- I would not have wanted to take this wild and crazy ride with anyone but you.  You encouraged me to have confidence in myself and explore those things I was interested in. You still do that to this day.  As I said in a dedication many years ago on the occasion of my first solo exhibition, and again on our 40th anniversary when we renewed our vows, "You have encouraged me by example, supported me with love, and shared my hopes and dreams."  If I had to choose all over again - I choose you.


I am so fortunate in this life and I am grateful for the blessings of family and friends.


So, as the poem suggested “I shall wear purple.” As a matter of fact, I wear it often!  It is, after all, my favorite color. For me, it will represent all of the memories I have stored in my heart.  Moments when I have loved and been loved.  It is a good life.

Let’s all go out and have a good year!

No comments: