Sunday, July 6, 2008

Painting and tennis anyone?

Fuel the Spirit
high fire enamels

Well, I hope that anyone that loves the game of tennis watched Federer and Nadal play at Wimbledon today! What a match!
It was wonderful.

It has been a nice 4th of July weekend. Thursday we started off by visiting a restaurant where a friend of ours was performing. We really enjoyed hearing Steve play and visiting with Marianne and Charles.
On Friday our good friends and neighbors, Jean and Jerry, had a 4th of July cook-out. We stopped over for a minute to say "hello" (My Mom was there, too) and then we had to leave to attend the opening of ANJE III (All Media National Juried Exhibition) at 621 Gallery. I had a piece accepted in the show. We also visited with friends at several other galleries at Railroad Square. It was First Friday. A lot of people were out celebrating the 4th, but there were some who did do the Gallery Hop. We returned home and the cook-out was still going on. We had an opportunity to visit a little plus Jean sent us home with the absolutely best made-from-scratch (including her own little limes that she grows) Key Lime pie I have ever tasted! Way to go Jean! They also said that my Mom had made the best baked beans for the cook-out. She is a great cook. I did not get that gene. My husband, on the other hand, is an excellent cook, too. I'm lucky.

Saturday, Chuck and I both worked in the studio. We actually got quite a bit of work done. . . thank goodness! I have a number of things that are distracting me from my studio work. I have several shows in August, one in Dallas, and one here. My schedule is getting full and I don't mean studio time! Steven Pressfield calls these distractions "Resistance" in his book, The War of Art (I call them scheduled meetings and projects). There are always distractions. The question remains whether we have the strength and professionalism to keep distraction, or resistance from preventing us from doing our work - putting in our time - creating. It is an on-going battle for artists, as those of you involved in the visual or performing arts know!
Anyway, I was glad to get a lot done yesterday so I could watch Wimbledon today! I'm looking forward to a busy week. I do love working hard in the studio and I try not to let too many other things prevent me from putting in my time!

Hope everyone has had a nice holiday! Let's all go out and have a good week! Come back and visit soon!

Til later,

T


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, "distraction" is a common problem for self-employed people!
Sorry we missed the 621 opening and first friday at rrsquare. I was recovering from a cold that I must've caught while traveling. Mark should be finishing up his paintings for soul mates hopefully and deliver them by friday 7/11 or monday 7/14. we're leaving 7/15 and returning 7/31.

Terrie Corbett said...

Hi!

I hope that you are recovering from your "sniffles." Summer colds are the worst! I told Mark I would help him if the gallery can't take the work early. Have a great trip. Hope to see you both soon. (Stop by the artport gallery if you get a chance-I think the Women's Show looks nice).